Wednesday 11 January 2017

Burnt Leaves and Comments

Hi all,
 In my last post I showed you the design I had in mind for a bit of pyrography on a pen. Here it is again in case you are new to this blog or just forgot about it.
Well I had a go with my pyrography iron and here is the finished article. All of the pyrography work was done with a Peter Child's machine and a spoon tip.
It isn't as good as I wanted it to be, but I like it a lot.

The main issue is the amount of light wood showing through  where the pyrography is supposed to be dark. Actually, it wasn't like that when I completed the burning process, but I had an issue with the finish that I applied to the pen. I won't bore you with the details but it meant that I had to do a bit of sanding to even the finish out and that process removed some of the wood. The effect of this was that it reveal some of the unburnt wood which in turn makes the pyrography less sharp.

Still, I learned a lesson and will not make the same silly mistake again. I will do the same design again in the next few weeks and I will put them both up for comparison.

Regarding comments, I don't seem to get that many but I had one recently asking me if I sold my work anywhere. This is an interesting point that I have been thinking about it myself because I can't just keep making things out of wood and pile them up in the house.

I did have shop once on Folksy.com where I sold a number of items, but this was in the days when I was buying my own blanks to do the pyrography on. I tried making square boxes but the whole thing was so time consuming it wasn't worth the effort and what with the limitations of the blanks that were available I ran out of things to put in the shop.

However, now that I have a lathe and I am able to make whatever I want from pieces of wood, things are different. Even with my limited time resources my output is higher than ever. So the answer is that I will probably be opening another shop on Folksy.com in the next couple of weeks. Please watch this space for details.

One last thing, The first book in "The Fishing Detectives" series,"Carp Rustlers" will be free to download from the 11th to the 13th of January. To get a copy, click on the books tab at the top of the page and then on the book's cover and you will get the link straight into Amazon.

And just another last thing regarding comments. They really are appreciated, I know that there is a little exercise to complete, just to prove you are not a robot, but I really would like to here from you if you have any comments to make.



No comments:

Post a Comment