Sunday 29 January 2012

Pyrography Irons

Hi all,
A lot of people have a go at pyrography and most of them give it up as a bad job. It starts out looking like the hobby will be exciting and fun, but often turns out to be hard and frustrating.The reason is probably down to the choice of pyrography iron. If you want to turn out nice pieces of work you have to invest in the right equipment.The pyrographer has two choices; the solid tip pyrography iron or the hot wire iron. A solid tip pyrography iron is pictured on the right.
Advantages
Relatively cheap
Comes with a selection of tips
Disadvantages
Not so easy to hold
Fixed temperature
Tips are relatively thick
These disadvantages make it harder to produce good work.The tip makes fine work difficult, not just because of the size of the tips, (pictured left) but because the iron is thick and more difficult to hold.
The pyrographer's hand is also further away from the tip which make control more difficult hence a lot of people give pyrography up and move onto something else.

Now don't get me wrong, it is possible with a pyrography iron to produce some acceptable results but it is much harder. On the right you can see the picture of a pansy book marker which I produced with my first solid tip pyrography iron.
Hot Wire (Pictured left)
Advantages
The temperature can be controlled
The iron is smaller, making it easy to hold. Plus, a pen like grip means the pyrographer's hand is closer to the tip.
The tip is smaller
Disadvantages The most expensive option.
Below, you can see a photo of a hot wire tip.
So, there are the choices and I guess the hot wire pyrography iron comes out on top. But, most of us hate spending money and to lash out a large sum on a piece of equipment for a hobby is not an easy thing for some people to do. They like me will be thinking back over money wasted on other hobbies that were just fads and came to nothing.

I started out with a fixed tip pyrograhy iron. It cost my wife about twenty quid and she got it me for my birthday. I used it for a couple of weeks and liked the feel of burning wood but was frustrated by the limitations of the solid tip pyrography iron. During this time I'd read a couple of books on the subject and found that the top people, who are involved in this form of art, use hot wire pyrography irons.

I struggled for a couple of days with my conscience and had a couple of sleepless nights, but eventually I prised open my wallet and spent about £100 on a really good pyrography iron.

The good news is, once I had bought the iron the cost of this hobby is almost zero if you take away the cost of the wood. Here is some more good news, hot wire pyrography irons can often be seen for sale on e-bay so it is possible to save money there. They also have lots of solid tip pyrography irons for sale, you may want to consider getting one of these first if you just want to give pyrography a try.

If you would like to see some more of my pyrography work please click here.
I sell some of my pyrography pieces, like the plaque of a common carp pictured right, at discounted prices on Folksy.com click here to see the shop

If you have any questions about pyrography please get in touch. Next week I will be looking at pyrography iron tips in more detail

Books
I do a lot of my wood burning as a bit of relief from writing and indeed I have worked on many plots whilst having the pyrography iron in my hand. My sixth book The Fishing Detectives: Bun in the Oven is in the proofreading stage and should be published before the end on February. This is the second book in the Fishing Detectives series and I know that it is eagerly awaited by those who have read my other fishing books.
If you would like to find out more about me or my books please click here

No comments:

Post a Comment