Sunday 23 January 2011

Melrose and Galashiels

Hi,
On the next day, of our tour around Scotland, we thought we'd have a change from gardens and take a look at some of the Border towns. We followed the river Tweed downstream and then veered off to Galashiels.
Now at that point I was no stranger to the name, Galashields, because a chap I was once on a management course with, actually worked there for a company called Pringle(wool not crisps). I had listened to the way he talked about Galashields over many a pint, and he convinced me that the place was only one rung down from heaven. With me being a lover of Scotland I didn't take much convincing and,of course, I presumed every word was true.

Anyway, we entered Galshields wearing our rose coloured glasses, but came out with them shattered. We drove through the town and such was our disappointment that we didn't even bother to stop. To be truthful, Galashields wasn't that bad really, especially when you compare it some of the places close to where I live, but on that day it wasn't what we were looking for.
So, having given Galashiels the swerve, we carried onto the next border town of Melrose. This time we drove into the town without the rose coloured glasses and we were very pleasantly surprised. I think that, Ryan, who I was on the course with, was thinking about Melrose when he waxed lyrical about Galashiels.

Melrose, which is well known for its abbey, was small and full of interesting shops. In fact, when we were walking around one of the shops my wife gave me a nudge.
"Can you see who's over there?" she asked.
Well, I looked in the direction she was pointing but couldn't see anything or anyone special.
"It's Julie Felix," she says. you remember her. It was now 2001, and my wife was talking about a folk singer from the sixties, so ever likely I didn't recognise her.
"She sang that awful song, 'Mummy's Taking us to the Zoo Tomorrow, Zoo Tomorrow' if you remember."
Well of course I remembered the song, how could anybody foget it? But a face from over thirty years ago was another matter. I've never been good on faces and, after that many years, my wife was probably just hallucinating.
So, Julie, in the unlikely event that you are reading this post, I'd be grateful if you you let me know if you were shopping in Melrose, in September 2001. It would be nice to know if my wife was right,again.

The other great thing about Melrose is the abbey and museum, which are situated close to the town centre. Having completed our shopping we took a peaceful stroll around this majestic ruin and then went for some lunch.
If you want to find out more about me, my writing services or my books, click here

If you would like to see more photos of Scotland, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment