Friday 10 May 2019

Pyro stick

Hi all,
Are we having some bad weather or what? Every year is the same. We have a few nice days that gives me a chance to catch up with all the gardening jobs, then the weather turns foul so I can't sit in the garden and enjoy the fruit of my labour. But even worse, while the weather is bad, the weeds still keep growing, so when it goes nice again, instead of enjoying the garden it will be back to weeding and mowing.

Still I have a plan. Later this year we are having the  front garden, and part of the rear garden, hard landscaped with slabs, blocks and gravel. That should save me some time next year and I'll be able to do more stuff that I like doing.

On the woodworking front, I have decide to concentrate on the walking stick that I began a couple of months ago. I have done a patch at the top of the stick by carving some flowers on it.
I drew the flowers on first with a pencil then carved out the shapes with a Dremel using an inverted cone shaped burr. Then I used my pyrography iron to burn and re-enforce the shapes. At this stage it looked a bit rough around the areas where I'd done the carving, so  I filled in the whole of the background with my pyrography iron. Instead of my usual spoon tip, I used a wire tip on a hot setting and just kept poking holes in the wood.
It was very therapeutic and the contrast it gave made it visually more appealing. Now all I've got to do is more of the same on the rest of the stick. I am looking forward to sitting in the garden and doing it soon when the sun comes out again. And, I will also be doing a carved knob for the top of the stick, so I will be getting on with that too.

In the evenings I'm still doing a bit of digital painting. I have just finish a a pair of magnolias which I am very pleased with.
You can see how I went about paint these on a short video I did for my Youtube channel "The Armchair Artist" by clicking on this link.
Please take a look and, if you like it, please consider subscribing. I will upload a new video of each painting when I complete them.
Thanks for looking. Any comments or questions I would;d be pleased to receive them.



No comments:

Post a Comment