Sunday 31 July 2016

Pyrography Box

Hi all,
Following on from the success of my last lidded box I thought I make another one while the going was good. However, this time I thought I do one with a bit more detail in the pyrography.

First I drew a design that I thought would suit a round box lid whilst making sure it was big enough to drape down the sides. When I was happy with the design I turned the box out of a piece of lime wood.

Once the lid was turned, I transferred the drawing to the box using tracedown paper, which makes life easier than using tracing paper. Having said that, the lid part went simply enough but draping the paper over the side was not quite so simple. The drawing distorted as it went down the sides, so I had to abandon the trace down paper and just simply draw the design on the sides by hand, whilst using the original drawing for a guide.

Here is a picture of the top of the finished box.


And here is a picture of the side.
I looks very nice and I'm very pleased with the result. However, I'm not sure that it is worth taking the design down the sides and taking it over the joint between the lid and the box in a mistake. Once you cross the join the user has to match up the position of the lid on the box to make it look right, and whilst this may be enjoyable on the first couple of occasions I guess it will prove to be tedious in the long run.

My next box will just have pyrography on the top so watch this space if you would like to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment