I finally finished the marquetry box and although it came out okay I wasn't blown away by the results. The effort required doesn't balance well with the outcome. To be honest, I found the whole thing a bit tedious and anybody who can make complete marquetry pictures from veneer is a superstar.
In the box pictured below I only had to cut a few pieces of veneer but that was enough for me. I thought veneer would be easy to cut, especially as I'd forked out money an expensive craft knife, but it wasn't. I had to make several passes with the knife before the cut was complete.
Anyway here are the photos of the finished box.
Sorry if this post seems a bit negative, but we all learn through our experiences. I thought marquetry was going to be a bit of a panacea but it wasn't to be. I'm not ruling out doing a bit more marquetry in the future, not least because I've got a load of veneer to use up, but I won't be rushing to do it.
I'm not sure what my next project will be but I will bring it to you as soon as I can.