Sunday 11 May 2014

Scrollsaw DIY

Hi all,
 Just a quick one. When I purchased my scroll saw I had only intended to use it for craft purposes, making boxes and the like. However, due to moving house I have found myself swamped with DIY tasks. Not least the revamping of the bathroom from hell.

 Even after we'd had a new shower and bathroom suite fitted, and had the numerous leaks fixed there was still much work to be done. For the record, the leaks were caused by plumbers and not me. Anyway, my wife wanted shelves around two walls and because the plastic bath panel that came with the bath was much less useful than an ashtray on a motorbike, I decided that I would panel the bath with some tongue and groove.

All of this meant that a lot of wood needed cutting, so I press ganged the scroll saw, which had been sulking in the corner for a few months feeling very unwanted, into action.

First, I designed and cut out a set of 8 shelf brackets and finished them off with my bobbin sander. Making the brackets was quite enjoyable because it reminded me of my previous life in a factory where the production line was king. Here is a photo before I varnished them.
Before I show you a photo of the finished bathroom, here is one when it was at its lowest ebb. I was in the process of taking up the laminate flooring which was in an awful state.
 It took a long time but eventually I did manage to finish the bathroom and due to my wife's interior decorating skills I think it came out rather well. The finished bathroom can be seen below and you may note that there isn't a single tile in sight.
The reason there are no tiles is because we both think that they make bathrooms very cold and clinical. Over the last few years there has been a general increase in the use of tiles, from a couple of rows over the bath to having a bathroom completely tiled. Fashion now dictates that everyone should have a wet room with a plug in the middle of the floor to let the water out.

I used a wet room at the hospital when I was recovering from a heart attack and a grim place it was too. We asked ourselves what we were going to be washing in our bathroom and how much splashing there would be. We mainly use the shower with the bath being reserved for Daisy our dog so splashing isn't an issue for us. If we had a pet hippo that required a regular sluicing down, a wet room might be an option but for now, cosy will do for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment