Sunday 4 May 2014

A Two Draw Box

Hi all,
Sorry it's been a long time between posts but I seem to have found a task that is taking all my time and then some more. I am talking about the new bathroom in the bungalow we have moved into. We had a new shower and bathroom suite fitted and in between several leaks (left by the plumbers I hasten to add)  I have been doing the decorating making shelves etc which I will show you in my next post.

I may not have been using my scroll saw for craft purposes but I have been using it continuously to help with the DIY jobs.

Anyway, this week I an determined to do a scroll saw box and a bit of pyrography. The box is of my own design and a bit of an experiment because this will be my first two draw box.
I thought it would be cute to make it resemble a smiling face and I will be interested to see how it looks when it is complete. I will be making this one out of a plank of pine that was one of the side rail of my mother in law's old bed so it will be a freebee which is very nice if it all goes wrong. Plus, if it works out I can always pinch the other one. There is little point in wasting good hardwood until I know that the design works. I intend to put my new oscillating bobbin sander through its paces with this design so we will see how that works too.

I have made a start by printing off six copies of the design because the box will be made from that many pieces of wood. It isn't possible to make one of these boxes from a solid piece of wood because it would be too thick to go into the scroll saw. The only option is to cut out six pieces and then glue them together. I guess that sounds simple and I suppose it is, but you have to concentrate to get it right.

I will take you through the process.

I print out the six copies of the design and then stick them onto six pieces of wood with spray mount adhesive. I then number them and do a bit of highlighting on the lines because they don't all need to be cut the same.

 Piece 1 This will be the front of the box so I have highlighted the cut line in blue. I will cut out everything except the two lugs at the bottom which will be the feet and they will be only cut on pieces two and five.
Piece 2 I will cut out everything including the feet and the lines highlighted in pink which will become the insides of the draws.
Pieces 3&amd;4 are both the same and will be be cut the same as piece two with the exception of the feet.
Piece 5 This one has feet but no pink highlighting because the these will be the backs of the draws.
Piece 6 This is the easiest one. Just the outline of the box and no draws or feet because this will be the back of the box.

If that is all as clear as mud I can understand why because it makes more sense whilst actually doing it. If you read it again and try in imagine the parts being stuck together it makes more sense.

Once I have cut the pieces out on my scroll saw I will show you what I do next and that will be the subject of my next post which I promise will be coming soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment