Wednesday 9 October 2013

Happy Little Pot

Hi all,
Sorry if you are expecting the last instalment of the walnut box, but there has been a change of plan. When I started doing pyrography I was pleased with how quick I could produce something that gave me pleasure.

However, I have recently been making my own boxes on a scroll saw and, although they do provide a lot of satisfaction when completed, they are quite a long while in the making. Depending on how much free time I have available it can sometimes take up to 3 weeks to complete 1 box and that is frustrating.

Over the years, I have often pondered the issue regarding what makes me happy. If you take away the thorny subject of money, happiness is an elusive commodity. For many years I thought the route to happiness was through contentment. If one could be satisfied with ones lot and not always be coveting what others had got, it should lead one to happiness. This theory is good to a point, but when one is sitting in ones chair how do you give yourself a little boost?

I don't know about anybody else, but for me it is achieving something or making something, and that is why pyrography is so good. I was 2 weeks into the walnut box and wondering if I'd ever finish it when I decided a quick shot of achievement would be good. So I immediately turned to my pyrography iron.

I looked at my blanks and found a small trinket box that I had purchased a few moths ago and set about creating a pattern on it with my pyrography iron. I didn't pencil it in first, I just went for it with the iron and hoped for the best.
One hour later, I had created something that I was very pleased with and that is where a lot of my pleasure comes from with pyrography. Now all I have to do is upload it to folksy.com and see if anybody else likes it as well.

In my next post I'm looking forward to showing you the finished walnut box.

No comments:

Post a Comment