Sunday 2 June 2013

The Cumbria Way

Hi All,
I haven't managed to get my pyrography iron out this week because I have been working on a sketch for my next personalised plaque. Those who have been following my pyrography blog for a while will know that I have done four plaques so far.

Three of these are aimed at those who see the long distance footpaths that are springing up all over the country as a challenge. I envy these people and if I was younger and in different circumstances I would love to have a go myself. What could be better, now that the weather is warmer, than to be walking through the majestic countryside and discovering a breathtaking vistas around every corner.

Alas it is no to be, so I will have to content myself by researching each walk and then doing a plaque that will hopefully do it justice. Originally, it was my intention to do a plaque for every walk, but I don't think that is going top be feasible, so I am going to concentrate on completing 10 of the walks and will do anything else via commissions and then add that design to the ten originals.

So far I have done.   The Coast to Coast walk
Hadrian's Wall Path
The Pennine Way
The plaques are 10 inches wide and have proved to be popular.

Anyway, this week I have concentrated on a sketch of a plaque for the Cumbria Way.
The Cumbria Way may only cover 70 miles on its journey from Ulverston to Carlise, but it passes through probably the most scenic part of the United Kingdom.

The biggest problem for me and my pyrography was the sheer number of Lake District icons that I could have included and I was very much spoilt for choice. In the end, I settled for the beacon that dominates the skyline at the start of the walk in Ulverston and a typical Lake District bridge. These would sit in front of the Langdale Pikes which are two of the highest peaks in the county. I did of course add a signpost and a rucksack just to give it a flavour of walking.

So here is the sketch. Please let me know what you think.
The top three plaques are available from my website, so if you are interested please Click here
 or  they can be purchased from Folksy.com

The Cumbria Way plaque will be available from my website in a few days at a discounted price for the first person to buy one.



No comments:

Post a Comment