Friday 15 March 2013

Dandelions

Hi All,
In my last post I showed you a sketch of my next pyrography project and I have included it again below for those who missed the post.
 
Anyway, I was quite pleased with the sketch and it didn't take me long to make some inroads into it with my pyrography iron. However, I had to be careful because with this image the shading was going to be very important.
 
It had always been my intention to create a very dark background so that I could have an excuse to use some paint to make the seed heads stand out. This meant that the pyrography work had to be done in a certain order to reserve the white of the wood.
 
I burnt around the seed heads and the stalks first and then began the shading. This was done in a circular motion from the place where I wanted the lightest tone, to edges where the burning would be at its darkest.
 
The shading was all done with a spoon tip and although very tedious and time consuming (it also played havoc with my Carpel Tunnel Syndrome) it was very satisfying when completed. To do this sort of shading, you must take your time and start off with a low temperature and quick iron movements until you start to create the tonal value you are trying to create. As you get away from the lighter tones increase the temperature of the iron and slow down on the speed of your movements.
 
One thing is absolutely critical, if you take your iron tip off the wood, even for just a short period of time, make sure to blow on it to cool it before you put it back down. If you don't, you will finish up with black spots all over your work.
 
Once the pyrography work was complete I used some watercolour paints to create the white parts of the seed heads. I used watercolours in preference to acrylics because I wanted them to be almost transparent in the centre. I find that acrylic paints tend to be more opaque than watercolours.
 
In fact, it took several applications of paint to get the image right. I built up several layers to give a solid edge around the top while graduating away slowly towards the centre.
 
Once it was finished, I sprayed it with three coats of varnish to protect it. I have mentioned this before, but I will say it again for those who may have missed it. Do not use 'brush on' varnish with anything you have done using water colours because it will smudge badly. Always use spray varnish with watercolours and you can't go wrong.
 
I quite like the effect I created with this image and framed it in a recycled frame from a charity shop. My only problem with it is whether I should sell it or not. Answers on a postcard please.

No comments:

Post a Comment