Sunday 31 March 2013

Birthday Painting

Hi All,
I've got a confession to make. This week I haven't managed to do any pyrography at all, so I haven't got anything to show you. I apologise for this and here's my pathetic excuse. I have just finished writing another book and the pressure is on to get it edited and published.

I promised myself I'd have it finished before my next birthday, which will be upon me again in a couple of days. I can hardly believe that I will be only three years away from retirement and I am looking forward to that. Not the getting old bit, but to get back some of the money I've paid in over the years. I think it will seem very odd to be getting money for nothing, but there again I have paid my dues so I will deserve every penny.

Getting back to birthdays, my wife decided to do me a painting for my birthday and because she was so excited about the results I had it a week early. It is now framed and hanging on the wall in the lounge. I said I wanted a landscape with a river running through it and that is what I got.

You can see the painting below and I think it is brilliant.


In fact, the painting has inspired me to have a go at oil painting. The painting you can see is done in acrylics, but I've tried them and find the quick drying times to be a bit of a bind.

Don't worry, I won't be giving up on the pyrography, but every now and again I just long to use some colour. I am hoping that what I have learnt about the use of tone in my pyrography work can be transferred to oil painting.

It is also interesting that when producing some of my pyrography work I can't help but wonder how it would look in full colour. Anyway, besides the painting, my wife has done for me, she is also buying me enough oil painting stuff to get me cracking and I can't wait.

In my next post I promise to have a piece of pyrography finished and look forward to sharing it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment