In the last post I showed you how I went about sanding and gluing together all the box parts and the pieces that go to make up the drawers. Here is a picture of how it looks once that is done. Note that I have also made a couple of handles for the drawers out of bits of scrap walnut.
Special care needs to be taken when sawing small pieces of wood for the handles because you don't want to get your fingers too close to the saw blade. When I cut the handles for this box on my scroll saw, I held the wood in a pair of bull nosed pliers. Its a bit fiddly but I like my fingers and want to keep them in case I ever take up the piano.
The next stage is to see how the drawers fit into the box and to do any sanding that is required. Take the minimum amount of wood off to just allow the drawers to open and close freely without snagging.
Here is a photo of the box now it is put together with the drawers fitted. The next task is to sand the outside to a pleasing shape and I will show you that in my next post.
In my last post I showed you a picture of the running hare that I'd drawn with a view to it being my next pyrography project. It described the shape of the hare in a number of elipses. Here is the finished hare after I burnt it into a maple plaque with my pyrography iron.
The result is quite pleasing but I think I should have made the dark parts even darker. The trouble is, by the time I'd thought about it, I'd already given it 3 coats of varnish so it was too late. In the future I'm going to give all my work a couple of days grace before I do the finishing off.
By the way, if you are interested in the hare, I will be listing it in my Folksy shop in the next few days.