Monday 11 November 2013

Bits and Pieces

Hi all,
I was hoping to move house this week but it has all gone a bit pear shaped. The solicitor who is doing the legal stuff for the people we are buying from decided to go on holiday for a couple of weeks and left us all in the lurch. Ah well, I least it meant I could do a bit more crafty stuff before I had to pack my scroll saw and pyrography kit away for a couple of months.

One of the things that has been annoying me lately is the accessibility of all my bits and pieces. Scroll sawing, and the wood working that surrounds it, necessitates the use of a wide range of bits and pieces. Not least a lot of different sized drill bits and various collets for my rotary machine. Up until this week, I have been keeping all this paraphernalia in an old fishing tackle box, but because it wasn't fit for the purpose I was using it, finding the actual bit of kit I wanted was a frustration.

Anyway, I decided to make a small set of draws and have a place on the top where I could conveniently keep all the other stuff including pens etc. Below is a picture of the finished article.
I made it from various pieces of scrap wood, pine, tulip wood, beech and various thicknesses of plywood are all in there somewhere. I am particularly proud of the carcass because that was made from the lump of plywood that came attached to the bottom of my scroll saw. I just knew it would come in handy one day for something. If you are wondering about the draw handles. I pinched a large wooden bead from one of my wife's necklaces and quartered it. If it wasn't for the fact that she proofreads these posts she'd never find out, but I guess the cat is out of the bag now.

One of these days I might have a go at building the same thing but on a bigger scale, it might look nice in our new lounge if we ever get there.

On the pyrography front, I am working on the lid for a box to keep my polymer clay in. I live in Staffordshire, which is the home of the potteries, so I thought a nice pottery based industrial scene would look good. Here is a sketch of the image I have in mind.
It will take me a couple of days to burn it in with my pyrography iron but I'm looking forward to showing it to you in my next post.


No comments:

Post a Comment