Monday 22 July 2013

Dragon

Hi All,
Last week wasn't very productive because of the heat wave. Several days of temperatures around 30 degrees sapped my strength and motivation. Having my computer workstation in the attic room, which is the hottest room in the house, didn't help.

We actually spent most of the week encamped under a large willow tree at the bottom of the garden, which was the only place we could get some slight relief from the sun. Some may think that sitting in the shade on a hot summer's day is heaven, but I'm afraid I found it rather boring. In the end, I ran an extension down the garden so that we could at least do a bit of pyrography.

It never ceases to amaze me that people will pay good money to go  to hotter places and sit in the sun all day. Ah well, it wouldn't do for us all to be wired up the same, so let's get back to the pyrography.

In my last post, I mentioned that I was doing a dragon, well here he is in all his glory.
  I used my scroll saw to cut the dragon from a panel of 6mm plywood and then burnt in the scales with my pyrography iron. Cutting it out was quite enjoyable even though it was time consuming. Great care needed to be taken in places where fine accurate cuts were needed.

Originally, I was going to do every scale with my pyrography iron, but I decided to just do a few here and there to give it a reptilian flavour. I did this because I didn't like the design of the wings. The harp shaped cut out on the back of the dragon would have looked better if left whole and I had drawn some wings on it with my pyrography iron. If I could buy hindsight I'd lash out a few quid on a bucketful, even though I'm generally as tight as a chub's bum.

Anyway, the dragon provided me with enough cutting practise and I feel that I am now ready to do my own thing. In fact, I have made a start and hope to show you something special (he said with his fingers firmly crossed) in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment