Saturday 16 February 2013

Moths and Coasters

Hi all,
I was hoping in this post that I would be able to show you how I got on with the Mad March Hares, but I spent too much time working on my latest book. Plus, the weather became nice enough to venture into the garden again, so something had to suffer and this week it was my pyrography. I did manage to do a bit, but rather than show you something half finished I thought I'd wait until it is completed.

I also realised that it's been a while since I showed you any of my wife's pyrography. You may recall that she only took up the hobby last August and she has taken to it like a gannet to a gurnard. In fact, she's putting me to shame at the moment.

Here is a set of coasters that she has just completed.

As you can see she likes colour, but there is a lot of fine pyrography work amongst the paint. I also think that she has a good eye for colour because the pallet she chooses blends together well. Nothing is too gaudy and nothing clashes.

As well as producing the coaster she also did some of her pyrography magic on a large trinket box. She did moths around the sides and a large moth on the lid. She also put some dandelion seeds on it to give the box a bit of character and it works very well.
One of the good things about us both doing pyrography is that we can inspire each other and discuss the best ways to achieve certain results. For example, when my wife started doing some pyrography she preferred a wire tip. However, I encouraged her to persevere with a spoon tip and now she uses it almost exclusively. I also think that we are using each other to raise our own standards because we are keen to impress each other with our  latest projects.

With that thought in mind I'm really hoping that my Mad March Hares aren't a disappointment. Please watch out for my next post if you would like to see how I got on.

No comments:

Post a Comment