Sunday 17 October 2010

Good News

Hi all
Finally the distribution gremlim has been put to the sword and my book is now available. "Writing: How to get Started as a Freelance Writer Plus a Guide to Self-Publishing & POD" can be purchased in paperback from most on-line retailers for only £7.99. If you go to Amazon via my website (link at the bottom of this post) you will find that it also includes delivery, which makes it a bit of a bargain.

However, I know many people don't like to spend more than a fiver on anything so here is some more good news. A kindle version of the book is now on sale at Amazon for the really low price of £4.20. For a book that is packed with so much information, that has got to be good news.

Here's just a reminder of what the book is about. The first part is aimed at those who you want to take up freelance writing. They may not know how to get started, or even worse, they may be showered with so many opportunities and ideas that they can't see the wood for the trees.

The writing game is awash with so many ideas that many a would-be writer just gets drowned before they find dry land. My book shows the best way to get started and move on to become established. I don't like blowing my own trumpet, or using well worn cliches, but I've been there and done it. I wasted more time than I care to remember chasing false hopes. The truth of the matter is, too many opportunities were waved in front of this gullible face and like a hungry fool I snapped at most of them. My book helps you avoid the traps and concentrate on areas that can bring success.

The first part of the book is dedicated to making sure the would be freelance writer doesn't waste precious time. It provides a clear strategy that will lead to publication and just as importantly, getting paid. Somebody said, "Only fools write for nothing" and I reckon they were right.

The second part of the book takes a look at the options that revolve around self-publishing. When most people think about self-publishing they think of vanity publishing and that's a mistake. Don't let anybody try to convince you that self-publishing is for failed authors with enourmous egos, because it isn't.

More good news; times have changed and self-publishing can be not only self-satifying, but also a lucrative enterprise for a lot of good authors. Let's face it, there are lots of brilliant authors out there all banging away on their keyoards day and night, but only a few get a tradditional publishing deal. Publishers want to make money so they are conservative about taking on new writers, which means the debut novelist has little chance of being spotted.

Anyway, regardless of how good your writing, getting a publishing contract is not going to happen for most writers, so this brings us back to self-publishing. My book examines 6 different models that any would be author could try. These range from handing your manuscript over to a company who will do everything for the author at one end of the spectrum, to the other end, where the author takes his book files to an independant printer. It also discusses in some detail the opportunites that are offered by internet companies like Createspace, Blurb and Lulu. These companies and others like them will allow the author to produce and publish a book for less than £10 so that can't be bad can it. Obviously, there are pros and cons and a lot will depend on the authors own circumstances and expectations, but it can be done and it is easier than you think and my book will show you the way. I have done it twice and you can see the results on my website.
Anyway, I'll leave you with the link. Goto my website
I also aplogise if this post seems like an out and out plug for my book, but I know many people who read this blog are intrested in writing. Those of you who are waiting patiently for the next post about my tour of Scotland will be pleased to know that it will be out in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment