Friday 26 March 2010

Ross Bay & Kirkandrews?


Hi,
Let's get acquainted with another bit of Scotland. This time we have moved to the other side of Dumfries, to an area called Ross Bay where we managed to book a delightfully secluded cottage right by the water. If you look at the photo above you can see the cottage on the edge of the water.It is called Bay Cottage and found right at the end of a long lane. It couldn't have been more peaceful and was such a perfect holiday location I tried to book it again a few years later but it wasn't available any more which is a great shame. It said on the website that it had been let on a short term tenancy, so hopefully it might become available again soon.


Anyway, we spent quite a bit of that Holiday just staring out of the window looking at the scenery and watching the wildlife. We spotted a grey seal several times and were always waiting for it to bob its head up again. I also managed to take a photo of an Oyster Catcher that was sitting alongside a hare on the beach below the cottage window.
Although the cottage was remote it didn't really feel like that because it was only a short drive to the lovely town of Kircudbright. This is where we did our shopping and visited some of the outstanding attractions that the area has to offer. These included art galleries, the Stewartry museum and Hornel's house and studio. Kircudbright has many galleries and has been the home town of many artists, when you visit Hornel's house you not only get to see some of his paintings but you get to walk through his delightful garden which backs onto the River Dee.

I will tell you more about some of the place we visited whilst staying in Bay Cottage in my next Scotland focused post but for now I would like to pose a question. Whilst driving along the lanes between Ross bay and the lovely little seaside village off Kippford,
(Picture above)
my wife and I came across a strange building. We thought it was a derelict church, well we were near a place called Kirkandrews (Kirk is a Scottish name for a church)and thought that it must be the local church that had fallen on bad times. Anyway we photographed it and thought no more about it until I was looking for some photos to go with this post.

Anyway, I like to make sure I get my facts right where possible so I Googled Kirkandrews Church and thought I'd get a lot of pictures confirming that this was the building I'd taken photos of.

Well it didn't I only got one photo that was the same as mine and that described it as being a dairy called, Coo Palace, Corseyard. Now there is strange name for a place. If anybody reading this post has anymore information about it I'd be interested to hear from them. On the left is a picture taken from the building looking down an impressive walled drive, anybody got any ideas?

By the way if you want to have a look at some of my other photos and art galleries here is the link.
Here's a link to our website, showing some of our paintings and a few of my photos.
Writers, my next post will be just for you and will be out shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment