Friday 19 February 2010

Pike and canals

Hi,
This winter seems to be dragging on a bit doesn't it? I've looked out of the window again this morning and we've got yet another covering of snow. I think I've seen more of the cold white stuff this year than I have in the previous twenty.

Still I shouldn't moan, spring is just around the corner and that means holiday time. I know most people go away in July and August and spend a couple of weeks grilling themselves a nice charcoal brown. I've never seen the attraction in doing that, I can get the same effect by standing under the electric fire in my bathroom.

How anybody can sunbathe for more than five minutes without being bored out of their skulls amazes me, still it wouldn't do for us all to be the same would it. In fact I am able to take great advantage of the majorities desire to be baked to a crisp.
I take my holidays in May when it is nice and quite and not only that, I prefer to go north away from the heat of the sun. If there is a more beautiful place on the planet than the north west of Scotland in the spring, please let me know where it is.


There is one specific place in this area that is absolutely beautiful.
I am talking about the area around the Crinan canal on the north end of the Mull of Kintrye. The short length of canal that is only a few miles long was built as a short cut for boats going from Loch Fyne to the Atlantic ocean.
The canal took more than sixty miles off their journey and was built through some stunning scenery. If you ever find yourself in Argyll around the town of Lochgilphead, take a a trip alongside the canal in your car. It follows the canal almost all the way to the port of Crinan and you can also take in Loch Sween while you are there.
Fishing
February used to be the time for piking. The thinking behind this was that they were the only big fish that could be caught at this time of year. It was always accepted that carp didn't feed in the winter, so those anglers who had the big tackle switched their attention to the so called fresh water shark. I don't know how it got this name because even in February when it is supposed to be fighting fit, a good sized one could be landed without getting off you basket.

I suppose you've gathered that I'm not a fan of pike. Well that isn't strictly true I just think that they are overrated in terms of being a fishing challenge. They will eat anything regardless of how the bait is presented and like I've already said they could hardly fight their way out of wet paper bag.

On top of that they are a nuisance and have cost me dearly in at least two matches. During one match on the river Trent I was running my stick float fishing down the near side, and wondering why my swim which had been producing well had gone as dead as a dodo. I noticed a big fat pike that was holding station below my keepnet. I kept an eye on him as I continued to fish my swim and saw that he kept swinging in and out of the flow. This carried on for the last hour of the match and I only managed to add another 2 gudgeon to my total.

I had of course during this time thought about sticking a wire trace on my line and catching the pike but much to my regret I didn't. At the weigh in I realised that it was a decision that would cost me dear, I came fourth in the match and was out of the money.

On another occasion I was fishing a club match. It was a hot Saturday afternoon and hardly anybody had caught. I'd had a couple of small skimmers and was doing better than most. By the time we were into the last half an hour a steady stream of anglers passed me by saying they'd had enough and anybody with a couple of pound would skate it. Well I reckoned that my two skimmers would register about a pound so I stuck at it hoping for another. About five minutes from the end I was rewarded when I hooked into another skimmer of a slightly better stamp. This could be the winner I thought and bought it across the surface slowly. It was just about to slip over the rim of my landing net when Percy the Pike turns up and snaffled it down his neck as if he hadn't eaten for a week.

So can you blame me if I haven't got a soft spot for the Pike? Here's a photo of a Pike with a grin like Elvis. This fellow obvoiusly met with a sticky end, I wouldn't wish that on anything even a pike.
.
If you are interested Pike more tales can be found in my book.
Click here for details
Before I sign off from this post, I'd just like to say that Pike are probably the topic involving most tall stories about fishing. If you have heard any or even have some unbelievable but true stories concerning Pike, I'd love to hear from you. Just use the comment section below.

Writers, I haven't forgotten you. I will be doing a writing post very shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment