Friday 8 February 2013

Mad March Hares

Hi All,
At the end of my last post I said that I was going to attempt something that was out of my comfort zone; well I'm very sorry, but I chickened out. I guess I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I will leave it for another day. I don't think you should force yourself to do anything with your pyrography iron that isn't providing you with that vital buzz, because it undoubtedly be reflected in your work

So instead of doing something new, I went back to a subject that I'd tackled before. If you are a regular reader of this post about pyrography you may recall the hares that I did on a wooden box. Anyway, I decided to try the same subject again but this time a bit smaller and the pyrography would be done on a piece of steamed beech veneer and then framed.

The easy thing about this project was that with the drawing already done. All I had to do was find the sketch on my computer, do a save as and then re-size it. I then printed it out, transferred the image to the veneer and did the pyrography work on it. Besides it being smaller. the only other change I made, when compared with the original, was the addition of some grass at the bottom. All of the pyrography work was completed with my usual spoon tip.
 
I think it is important that any sketches or designs you do for your pyrography should be copied and saved. You may think at the time that what you are doing is a one off, but you may just want to incorporat that design into another work at some stage. I certainly don't throw away any of my sketches, no matter how good or bad. I keep the hard copy in a folder but also scan a copy into my computer.
 
Anyway, with March being only a few weeks away I decided to stick with hares as my theme and did a sketch of two Mad March Hares having a bit of a dust up. They don't exactly set the world on fire at the moment, but I expect they'll look much better when burnt into another piece of beech veneer.
 
 In my next post, hopefully I can show you the finished item

No comments:

Post a Comment