Sunday 4 September 2011

Craobh Haven

Hi all, in my last post we had just left Aird, a lovely place that is situated towards the end of the Cragnish Peninsular. It was our intention to go straight back to our lodge on Loch Awe, but we changed our plans. Shortly after rejoining the main road, we saw a sign for Craobh Haven which pointed down the other side of the Cragnish Peninsular, so we thought we'd take a look. After about mile, the road came to a dead-end at a purpose built holiday village and marina complex.
The houses that provide the accommodation had only been recently built and were very well tended. Roses climbed around the doors giving the place a feel of Dorset, which felt rather strange on the West Coast of Scotland. Beyond the houses was a marina that was bursting with yachts. This was a perfect place to moor a boat, calm waters and lots of islands to explore. It struck me as being odd that all the boats were deserted, but there again, perhaps their owners were working double time to pay for the boat's up keep and the mooring fees. Nearby, was a water sports centre that also provided accommodation on Eilean Buidhe, a small island within the marina.We walked around, took some photographs including one of the cross on the left. It is a memorial cross dedicated to two members of the MacDougall family who sadly lost their lives in the first world war. I don't know what it is about WW1 memorials, but I always find them moving. I have photographed quite a few and if life wasn't so short I'd love to go around and record as many as possible and put them on a website for all to see and hopefully remind people of what sacrifices these men made for our country.

By now we were very tired, so we jumped in the car and headed back to Loch Awe where we were greeted by the best holiday view we've ever had.

I'll leave you with a reminder that you can find out more about me and my books by clicking here. My pyrography work can be viewed here, and some more of my photos and our paintings can be seen by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment